Friday, May 29, 2015

Out with the old and in with the new...

A bit of a hodge-podge post today, in two parts....

Part 1: Out with the Old

After seeing comments about it by a few different people on instagram I decided to see what this whole "Konmari" thing is about. It's a very interesting concept, and as someone that definitely struggles with keeping things tidy I was eager to give it a go.

The key points I've taken away from the Konmari method of tidying are 1) choose what you want to keep, not what you want to get rid of, 2) keep what brings you joy, and 3) sort by category, not location. The brings me joy part was a little tricky to start with, but I figured I could interpret that how I wished and in the end, despite my scepticism, it all turned out fine.

The author of the method, Marie Kondo, also outlines a suggested order for going through your possessions. You start with clothes, as she describes them as one of the easiest categories; a statement I'm not sure is quite as true when you have made most of your clothes. Therefore, I tweaked the order a bit by starting with the categories of clothes with the least me-mades to ease me into the process.

It took me an afternoon to go through all my clothes and shoes, and at the end of it I had a big pile of bags full of clothes I'd chosen not to keep. I've since sorted these out and have a pile of hand-mades that are still in great condition that I'm hoping to sell, as hopefully some other people will be able to get some joy out of them now instead of me.




In the first instance I've listed all the items I'm hoping to sell on this page of my blog.

If you are of a similar size to me, or know anybody that is, (some things are a little big or small, but most fit me, size information is listed) please click through to see the items that I'm hoping to sell. I wasn't sure how much to try and sell them for, mostly hoping to cover the costs of the fabric, so if you are interested in anything but aren't sure about the price please shoot me an email and we can discuss.



Part 2: In with the New(s)

And one other exciting thing that I wanted to share quickly is that Darren and I are engaged!!


We are both very happy and excited, and I am particularly excited about my new ring. We had the ring custom made by a local jeweller to our ideas and description, and it was perfect for us to be so involved in the process since we are both very creative people.

  

So of course, I have now started thinking about making wedding dresses, which is a just a lot scary!!! I haven't gotten any further in the process than knowing I'd like to make it, but since we're not planning on the wedding for a while yet I've got some time to up-skill!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your engagement. That's brilliant news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaww congratulations! what great news! your ring is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! exciting times ahead for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Rachel! What exciting news, and that ring is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely news & a gorgeous ring.

    Good luck with the Konmari thing, I'm not convinced about it, but I would like less clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting engaged! All the best to you two! The ring is gorgeous.
    I keep stumbling over the tidying up book... maybe that means I should read it at some point? (Just moved house. Cannot be bothered for now, I think...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Lovely ring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your engagement! That is very exciting. I kind of wish I had made my own wedding dress but the thought didn't even occur to me back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops I was going to bid on the ring..It's beautiful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. rekomendasi situs dominoqq terbaik dan terbesar saat ini hanya di asikbandarqq
    daftarkan diri dan dapatkan uang tambahan dengan mudah hanya di http://180.215.13.115

    ReplyDelete
  13. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    domino 99

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading your article, we got to know that you bought a new ring after selling your old clothes, LOL. ;)
    Click Here https://actionairduct.net/ for Air Duct Cleaning Denver to get more details.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...